Thursday, March 7, 2019

Contemplative

Lately, I have been really trying to think of the plot of what I would like the plot of my film opening to be, and I have been struggling on settling on a singular idea. It flip flops every day! I am also now thinking of doing a horror film opening instead of a thriller at this point. The only thing I am (sort of) sure on, is that I want the viewers to have the sensation that they are seeing something that they totally shouldn't be. Not in a weird, illegal way, but in the way that would leave audiences feeling disturbed. I guess there is no way to verbally say this without sounding like a total creep. But I promise I am not some psycho, I just want to replicate the way I felt when watching some of my favorite horror films.

Take the film Hereditary for example, it challenges the conventions of typical horror films in a few ways. Now, I don't plan on turning this post in to an analysis on Hereditary, so I won't go in to too much depth, but it is rare that a horror film actually evokes a sense discomfort from me, and that's what it did. When a film just sticks to the book, and doesn't even attempt to do something unpredictable, I find it quite boring. How many times are Sally, and Johnny going to follow the alarming noise in to the depths of the forest? I want to shake things up a bit, or "break the wheel" as Daenerys Targaryen would say. You could say I am a bit excited for the final season of Game of Thrones...

Anyways, I want to analyze my favorite horror flicks some further to draw inspiration on how they do, what they do. Is it within the plot? Technique? Or are the directors just a touch of genius?  Whatever it is, I know that I need to hurry up, because the clock is ticking, and I still am unsure on what direction I am going to take this film. But, I am quite excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment